Dr. Ingryd H. Lorenzana
Neuro – Optometrist
Founder: Vision and Sensory Integration Institute
Director: Advanced Vision Center
Amazon Best Selling Author
Experience, Expertise and Passion
Dr. Ingryd Lorenzana is an international award-winning optometrist and vision specialist, the creator of the groundbreaking CogniViision™ protocol and a true believer in BRAIN TRAINING through VISION as an effective method to succeed in school, excel in sports and increase productivity in the work place.
Dr. Ingryd has a great passion for her work, and with good reason. Most of her life, she struggled with reading and attention issues. She loved to learn but had great difficulty with being a slow reader and didn’t know why. She worked harder and studied harder than any of her friends just to keep up, and lost out on the social life a young person normally enjoys if she was to succeed.
A Discovery is Made
It was not until Optometry School that she discovered she had been struggling with an undiagnosed visual condition: Convergence Insufficiency (CI). CI is an eye-teaming problem in which the eyes have a strong tendency to drift outward when reading or doing work close-up. A person with CI must use extra effort to make the eyes turn back in, which can lead to slower visual processing speed and can impact the way a person learns, reads and even pays attention.)
The treatment of CI was pivotal to obtaining her degree and inspired her to choose vision learning disabilities as the focus of her life’s work. She went on to complete a residency in Pediatrics–Binocular Vision and Perception at the Illinois Eye Institute and became a faculty member at the Illinois College of Optometry.
Current Treatments Were Not Enough
Although available treatments helped her obtain a degree, the new visual demands of being a faculty member, where publishing is critical, revealed unaddressed visual issues hindering her ability to reach her true potential. These new occupational demands revealed that more needed to be done. It was then that she started doing her own research and work–on herself–and gradually developed a uniquely innovative and ground-breaking protocol known today as CogniViision™.
A Solution is Found
CogniViision™ is based on the eye/brain connection, and utilizes the neuroplasticity of the brain, the now-understood capacity of the brain to continue to change, adapt and form new neuropathways–at any age. Unlike conventional vision therapy, CogniViision™ “trains the brain” for improved motor and cognitive visual-processing skills. The training actually activates the vision-processing neurons and increases their functionality.
Think of Dr. Ingryd as an “Eye Engineer,” and a pioneering one at that. She fully understands the implications of the eye being made of the same tissue as the brain. The connection between the two is powerful — indeed the eyes are an extension of the brain, and vice-versa.
A Desire for the Future
Dr Ingryd’s biggest desire is for anyone suffering from what seems to be an unmanageable or irreversible vision issue, knows that:
• They are NOT alone
• Their issue is NOT imagined
• Something CAN be done!
She knows that CogniViision™ can be life changing, as it was for her. The therapy impacts not just a person’s ability to read, but their sense of self, which can then change their entire life. The good news is that it is never too late to have this impact–children and adults alike can be helped.
Specializing in Special Eyes
Dr. Ingryd has two businesses that allow her to truly “Specialize in Special Eyes”:
1. The Vision and Sensory Integration Institute offers CogniViision™ therapy for visual processing issues and neurological special needs.
2. The Advanced Vision Center offers specialty optometric services, exams and eyeware for children and adults with unique vision needs.
Honors and Credentials
Dr. Ingryd is a driving force in the field of optometric research and is committed to staying abreast of the latest developments in vision therapy and eye care. She is a sought-after international speaker and the recipient of many honors and awards:
- Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry
- Board Certified Fellow in the Area of Vision Therapy and Neurorehabilitation through the College of Optometrists for Visual Development
- Research Site of the YEAR from The Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group (PEDIG)*
- Research Site of the Month: November from PEDIG
- “Outstanding New Clinical Site” from PEDIG
- 3D Eye Doctor of the Year, Hollywood’s International 3D Advanced Imaging Society
- America’s Top Optometrist | Vision Therapy & Vision Rehabilitation
- Consumer Research Council of America
- Clinical Excellence Award by the Vision Service Plan
- Influential Women in Business award from the Daily Herald Business Ledger
- Private Practice Optometrist of the year by the Eye Grads of Illinois
- Excellence in Teaching in Clinical Education from Western University of Health Sciences
- Participation in the externship program with Autonomous University of Aguascalientes
*Vision and Sensory Integration Institute (VSII) is one of the very few US private practices selected by PEDIG to participate in their studies (other participants are major institutions). And VSII is one of only 9 sites in all of the US participating in a landmark clinical trial on Convergence Insufficiency Treatment.